homestead - Re: [Homestead] Social Groups and Food

  • From: Mogrits <mogrits AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Social Groups and Food
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 22:33:27 -0500

Thanks for all the good suggestions. Fortunately for me, tonights
meeting and soup went over well and I have but one meeting left in
this office this year. That meeting we'll be having the wives and
families, so I will probably learn how to bake spaghetti in a pan like
I've seen at the Baptist covered dish suppers and toast some garlic
bread and try to assemble a tossed salad.

One of the best meals we had this year was a huge pot of pintos and a
couple pones of cornbread.

I've found that simple is good for that crowd, and I've also learned I
can't recoup costs buying food out. The black or red beans and rice
sounds great. If called upon to help out next year I may pull that one
out of the hat.

One dish no one mentioned, but always goes over well (when others cook
it) is chicken stew. I don't know how it's done outside my corner of
the South but hereabouts it's milk based, with lots of parboiled
chicken picked and shredded, along with diced potatoes, cut corn,
butter and seasonings. Sprinkled liberally with Texas Pete and
crumbled soda crackers.

Warren