homestead - Re: [Homestead] Social Groups and Food

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Social Groups and Food
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 17:58:43 -0500

Ironic that you are cooking stew, because that is what I was going to suggest: Brunswick stew though..
BBQ can be cooked ahead and would be easy fixins, too.
Breakfast for supper is always popular, try pancakes or waffles instead of eggs, you can even make it fun waffles while you wait, kind of thing.
Since men like manly man kind of things<g> try a brat roast instead of a weinie roast...make it sort of a tailgating party..
Chicken wings and chips and dip..
Low country boil..
KFC and your wife's homemade potato salad? ;)

If you make things like this, you can always take home the leftovers and freeze them for another occassion, or donate them to charity or divide it amongst members or whathaveyou.
I've been hung up on fish fry's for the past year...I want to go to a good ol' fashioned southern fish fry...

Mogrits wrote:
Two topics discussed here of late... Here's a segue. I belong to a
social group and one of the duties of my present office is to prepare
a meal for our meetings.

Planning the meal is usually the most difficult aspect, as I can
normally enlist help with preparation. Does anyone else perform a
similar function or have any suggestions? The challenges are numerous,
at least with our group- we can never plan on attendance and it may
vary between 14 men or 40. It has to be inexpensive. Money is
collected on an honor basis, with a jar at the head of the line. Many
of our older members drop in a couple ones, and some of the more
worldly set may toss in a fivespot. Sometimes we don't recover food
costs. The meetings are lunar based, approximately once a month, and I
try to vary the menu seasonally.

Tonight I'm stewing up a vegetable beef soup using browned ground
beef, crushed tomatoes and most every vegetable in our freezer. It's
coming along pretty well. We'll just have the soup with soda crackers.
I've done a breakfast before, of bacon, sausage, grits and scrambled
eggs and that's relatively inexpensive and popular. In my recollection
I haven't resorted to boiling hotdogs yet.

Anyone have any ideas?

Warren