homestead - [Homestead] Here we go again...

  • From: Bunjov AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Here we go again...
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 09:45:17 EST

11/17/2008 12:31:00 PM

Cattle Update: BSE Case Confirmed In British Columbia
OTTAWA, November 17, 2008 - The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) has
confirmed bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) in a seven-year-old dairy
cow
from British Columbia. No part of the animal’s carcass entered the human
food or animal feed systems.
The animal’s birth farm has been identified, and an investigation is
underway. The CFIA is tracing the animal's herdmates at the time of birth
and
examining possible sources of infection. The age and location of the
infected
animal are consistent with previous cases detected in Canada.
This case was detected through the national BSE surveillance program, which
has been highly successful in demonstrating the low level of BSE in Canada.
The program continues to play an important role in Canada’s strategy to
manage
BSE.
Canada remains a Controlled Risk country for BSE, as recognized by the World
Organisation for Animal Health (OIE). Accordingly, this case should not
affect exports of Canadian cattle or beef.
Source: CFIA