homestead - Re: [Homestead] Corn, was Seed stash

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Corn, was Seed stash
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 13:05:01 EST

> >Ok, so do you want to recommend some varieties of sweet corn for me to
> try that would do well with natural, organic fertilizers, manure teas
> and the like?

First of all, unreservedly, Country Gentleman. Very high quality, very
generous yeilds and it only does well on organic ground. It's what you see
for
sale in the grocery store as frozen "shoe peg" corn. But the industrial
version
is a pale comparison to homestead grown.

There are many types of corn that will make a feasible roasted corn in the
milk stage. You have to inspect the ears every day and select them at just
the
right stage. Hickory King and Aztec Black are two that are good for this,
and
if you let the rest mature, you have good meal corn.

Any corn, no matter how starchy, tastes very much like the best and most
finicky sweet corn if you put a few spoons of sugar in the boil water.

James