homestead - Re: [Homestead] Corn, was Seed stash

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Corn, was Seed stash
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 13:26:16 -0500

CG is one that I think I remember hearing Lynn speak well of also.
I have 'Mexican Black', which might be the same as your Aztec Black.
I grew Hickory King and Trucker's Favorite the first year or so I was here. I really should have kept better records on what happened, but I seem to recall that the TF was better..maybe I had a pollination problem with the HK..I can't remember for sure.
I haven't grown that since. That's your primary meal corn, isn't it?

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

First of all, unreservedly, Country Gentleman. Very high quality, very generous yeilds and it only does well on organic ground. It's what you see for sale in the grocery store as frozen "shoe peg" corn. But the industrial version is a pale comparison to homestead grown.

There are many types of corn that will make a feasible roasted corn in the milk stage. You have to inspect the ears every day and select them at just the right stage. Hickory King and Aztec Black are two that are good for this, and if you let the rest mature, you have good meal corn.

Any corn, no matter how starchy, tastes very much like the best and most finicky sweet corn if you put a few spoons of sugar in the boil water.

James