homestead - Re: [Homestead] was mullein: jewelweed

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was mullein: jewelweed
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 11:00:51 EST

> >As a note, it says not to use alcohol
> as in some people an alcohol-based remedy will cause the poison ivy oils to
> spread or worsen.

I once made a tincture of it and it didn't seem to work at all. The very
best preparation of jewelweed I've used is to smush up the succulent stems
(the
part you use for poison ivy) into ice cube trays. Then shell out the frozen
jewelweed into a freezer bag and keep it in the freezer. On exposure to
poison
ivy, take out a cube and bathe the area. It's almost as effective as the
green plant.

James