homestead - [Homestead] Oats

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Oats
  • Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 23:43:25 -0500

http://www.namamillers.org/prd_o_env.html
That page has some interesting information on oats...for example
Oats are often used as a "natural herbicide" - grown as a companion
(or starter) crop to help establish forage legume crops by shading
areas where weeds would grow.

Carla Emery says that chickens have to eat hulled oats. I have no way to hull them, and no money to get the hull-less variety. Is there anything I can do without a grinder?

I use rolled oats a good bit, not only in oatmeal, but also in meatloaf and in baking-like apple oat pies. Five pounds of oats would go a long way with me if I had a way to hull them. From Jeavons book, the chart says I could get 3.7 pounds yield per 100 sf. I can spare a plot that size-very manageable. Perhaps I should just suck it up and buy a mill.

Bev

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda