homestead - Re: [Homestead] SSI was:. "on the dole"--Bob's emoticons

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] SSI was:. "on the dole"--Bob's emoticons
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 15:46:55 -0700

On Nov 9, 2008, at 3:15 PM, bob ford wrote:

I'll say this again. The smiley was winking ; It was 'inside baseball' between James and me concerning a long-term good-natured argument. All a person has to do is ask, if they think another person is acting in an invalid manner, is politely ask. There are much more important issues about which to worry than Bob's emoticons :-) ....bobford

A few observations, Bob:

I have long held that writers are responsible for writing in such a manner that their readers understand what they are saying. Responsibility for confusion rests primarily with the writer.

"Inside jokes" have little place in a forum such as this. They are at minimum confusing and time wasting, at worst they are disrespectful. In all cases they disrespect the time demands of the readers.

You have repeatedly pleaded your computer semi-illiteracy. I don't use emoticons and am emoticon illiterate. Write English, please, if you wish me to be one of your readers.

Yes, there are many very important issues about which to worry. Which is why many of us have been dismayed with the recent and ongoing avalanche of petty crap brought up, hashed and rehashed ad nauseam. I personally pushed one of those hard just to expose the idiocy.