homestead - [Homestead] Gore/Enviro Group desires centralized grid

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Gore/Enviro Group desires centralized grid
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 18:13:58 -0800 (PST)

I don't know anything about this group connected to gore. I don't think that
a nationwide centralized electrical grid sounds like a good idea
though....bobford

WASHINGTON, Nov. 6, 2008 (Reuters) — Al Gore's Alliance for Climate
Protection has some environmental advice for the incoming Obama
administration: focus on energy efficiency and renewable resources, and
create a unified U.S. power grid.

Related Topics
Climatology
Energy Technology
Global Climate Change
Science and Technology
Technology
Ads by GoogleAdvertise here
Buy Obama Buttons Now
Collectable Obama Buttons Fast Shipping and Great Selection
www.projecthope08.com/shirtsan inconvenient truth
factory farming = global warming find climate-friendly food near you
anotherinconvenienttruth.orgBarack Obama: President
1 Minute Poll. Will Obama Be a Good Leader?
60SecPolls.com/Barack-ObamaEurekaFacts Focus Groups
Focus group/interviewing Rockville Full service-Recruitment-Facilities
www.eurekafacts.comOn Thursday, the group Gore founded rolled out a new media
campaign to push for immediate investments in three energy areas it maintains
would help meet Gore's previously announced challenge to produce 100 percent
clean electricity in the United States in a decade.

Pegged to Obama's election victory on Tuesday, the Gore group's ads on
television, in newspapers and online, pose the question, "Now what?"

"Our nation just made history," one video says. "We have an historic
opportunity to boost our economy and repower America with 100 percent clean
electricity within 10 years. It will create new American jobs, end our
addiction to dirty coal and foreign oil and solve the climate crisis."

More information on the campaign is available online at
http://repoweramerica.org.

Gore -- former vice president, Nobel Peace laureate and star of the
Oscar-winning documentary "An Inconvenient Truth" -- has said repeatedly he
wants to play no official government role in the fight against climate change.

But with environmental activists talking about a possible "climate czar" in
President-elect Barack Obama's White House, Gore's name inevitably gets
mentioned.

IMMEDIATE ENERGY INVESTMENTS

The plan advocates immediate investment in energy efficiency, renewable power
generation -- including public investment in wind, solar and geothermal
technology -- and the creation of a unified national smart grid.

"Modernize transmission infrastructure so that clean electricity generated
anywhere in America can power homes and businesses across the nation," the
alliance said in a statement.

The alliance favors "national electricity 'interstates' that move power
quickly and cheaply to where it needs to be (and) local smart grids that buy
and sell power from households and support clean plug-in cars."

Gore and his group are in line with most U.S. environmental groups, which see
the next administration as a chance to act to stem global warming, after what
many see as the Bush administration's stalling on this issue.

R.K. Pachauri, head of the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change,
who shared the Nobel Peace Prize with Gore in 2007, sounded a similar note in
a statement issued after the vote.

"The U.S. now has a unique opportunity to assume leadership in meeting the
threat of climate change, and it would help greatly if the new president were
to announce a coherent and forward looking policy soon after he takes
office," Pachauri said on his blog at http://blog.rkpachauri.org/.

http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/tre4a58n6-us-usa-election-gore/