homestead - Re: [Homestead] Gore/Enviro Group desires centralized grid

  • From: SJC <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Gore/Enviro Group desires centralized grid
  • Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 21:44:50 -0500

bob ford wrote:
I don't know anything about this group connected to gore. I don't think that
a nationwide centralized electrical grid sounds like a good idea
though....bobford

WASHINGTON, Nov. 6, 2008 (Reuters) — Al Gore's Alliance for Climate
Protection has some environmental advice for the incoming Obama
administration: focus on energy efficiency and renewable resources, and
create a unified U.S. power grid.
Yeah, well---

I'll go for one part of his plan; the energy efficiency part. And to me that IS me: I'm always looking for more energy-efficient ways to perform my daily tasks. My energy wanes as I age and as my spine continues to curve, so I'm interested in getting things done with the least energy expenditure possible. That way I still have some energy to play with my dog and debate raw milk issues with my neighbor.

As to a national grid, I'd rather go without. I'm not far from there now: I pay the minimum bill, $13/mo. Mostly I do that because the artesian well's outlet (or is that inlet? anyway, the pipe that brings in water) is in the basement and it's difficult for me to carry water up the steps these days, so I use the electric pump to deliver it to the sink. Regular phone seems to run off phone's power???? Everything else electric (laptop, radio, cd player, couple LED lights) I run off grid power if there's plenty until I hit the $13 mark. If I get close, I run that stuff off solar-charged batteries. Stove is gas, heatstove is wood. It wouldn't kill me to go without the extras but I'd miss yakkin' at you guys :-)

A national grid? Talk about hogtied. Nah, I no likeeee........

SJ