homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bev, you make cider vinegar?

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bev, you make cider vinegar?
  • Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 15:01:47 -0500

Yes, I have done it, not with crabapples though. I used it to clean
with. I don't remember the specifics-it's been 5 years or so, but it
was kind of homebrewy-I used a carboy, some aquarium tubing and had Ron
put a hole in a cork for the tubing. There are a bunch of sites online
for making vinegar, just search it. It is hard to mess up as vinegar
itself is an accident..lol

Rebecca Lewinski wrote:
Forgot to ask this in my last post! Bev, you mentioned subbing the
crabapples for regular apples in making cider vinegar. Have you
tried making vinegar? I think we did it by accident with the first
batch of hard pear cider the spouse made (UNDRINKABLE!) but he dumped
it before I could put it to use around the house.

ANYWAY, if you or others on the list have vinegar making skills and
advice to share, I'd love to hear about it. My goal next year is to
find ways to use everything we get from the garden (in things other
than compost!).

And.... I see I have to run outside and tie down some cheapo plastic
greenhouse material we put over our tomatoes. The wind is really
picking up ahead of the newest rain squall... (I STILL have tomatoes
on the vine, in spite of some hard frosts! I've been covering them
up at night. Hoping I can keep them going through Thanksgiving).

-Rebecca in the great Northwest _________________________________________________________________ Stay up to date on your PC, the Web, and your mobile phone with
Windows Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/119462413/direct/01/ _______________________________________________ Homestead list and
View the archives at: https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/homestead