homestead - Re: [Homestead] Crabapple thread

  • From: Rebecca Lewinski <rebas_own AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Crabapple thread
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 11:41:19 -0800

hi all, didn't expect to see so many answers so soon! I did find a recipe
for crabapple butter, so I'm gonna modify it for the crockpot (saves stirring
the butter over the stove as it condenses down). We don't eat a lot of jam
or jelly, but we do like apple butter by itself or mixed into things like
yogurt, cottage cheese, or a sweet barbecue sauce. I didn't make any regular
apple butter this year, as all the apples we didn't can or give away ended up
in the spouse's hard cider experiment. I think we have 10 gallons of hard
cider of both pear and apple bubbling away right now, plus several gallons of
sweet cider that we drank and gave to friends. Some of the crabapples did
make their way into the sweet cider. Really put some snap into it.

> Hi Rebecca; I know nothing about crabapples; but I'm sure one of the goup
> will eventually notice and anwer your question. How did the man save your
> 401K? ...............bobford

George publicises his stock picks and states why he is making them, with the
advisory that it's not advice, but just what he's doing for himself. He did
say earlier this year that, judging from what he and his cohorts at
HalfPastHuman were seeing in their linguistic reports, it would be a GREAT
idea to get out of the stock market and into things like DirectTreasury
accounts. I'm no financial genuis and I couldn't get the spouse to read
George's reports and get his feedback, as at the time he dismissed George's
work as complete hooey. But the spouse did give into my nagging and moved
the 401K out of stocks and into the money markets. Unfortunately he kept the
kids' education funds in stocks (which are now toast). Most of the people in
his office didn't move their funds, and.... yeah. They're all pretty sad
right now. Not sure what financial moves we need to do next, as I'm not
convinced that the money markets aren't going to need bailing out soon. Kind
of late to buy gold, and you can't eat gold anyway. We are going to sit down
and take a look at our options over the weekend, as George thinks there's
going to be another abrupt drop in the stock market later this month, with
worse to come in early 2009.

well, back to processing those crabapples.... I had been hoping for lunch to
try some chantarelle mushrooms that popped up under one of our apple trees,
but I think some varmint (2-or 4-legged, I don't know which) spotted them
from the sidewalk and got 'em first. I had a BUNCH of them growing there
yesterday, now there are none! I'll get some on the next round....

-Rebecca in the great Northwest

  • Re: [Homestead] Crabapple thread, Rebecca Lewinski, 11/06/2008