homestead - [Homestead] Free Tomatoe Seeds, was Alas, Garden planning

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Free Tomatoe Seeds, was Alas, Garden planning
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 23:04:56 -0800

If you plant heirloom *real* roma's (small "r" meaning not the fancy brands called Roma), then they make great slicing tomatoes.

At anyrate, all you seed nuts <g>, I sent this when none of my e-mails were getting through, so here goes again. Some free seeds below.

Lynda

= = = = =
Amana Orange ~ Orange beefsteak from Amana, Iowa, tasty, IND, 90 DTM

Amish Paste ~Productive cropper makes delicious red plums, most about 8
ounces, IND, 75 DTM

AYWC ~ Oblate red globes about 10 - 12 ounces, IND, 80+ DTM

Anna Russian ~ Large pinkish-red hearts are sweet and delicious, IND, 70+
DTM

Api Rouge ~ Brilliant red fruits, about 4 - 8 ounces each, SEMI-DET, 70 - 80
DTM

Arbuus ~ Russian translation means "watermelon", red fruits about 2 - 4 oz.
each, DET, 60 - 70 DTM

Aunt Ruby's German Green ~ Hierloom beefsteaks about a pound, ripe fruits
have light green skins with yellow blush, very tasty, IND, 80 DTM

Baby Beefsteak ~ Small red fruits shaped like beefsteaks, are much more
juicy, about 1 - 2 oz., good cropper, IND, 75 DTM

Banjan Roomii ~ Red beefsteak from Afghanistan, most about a half pound,
very nice flavor, IND, 85+ DTM

Beefsteak ~ Meaty red fruits usually over a pound, classic, IND, 80 DTM

Black Cherry ~ Clusters of plum-brown fruits, 1" across, delicious, IND, 65+
DTM

Black Moor ~ Dark maroon-brown fruits about an inch across, IND, 60 - 70 DTM

Bonny Best ~ This great classic tomato makes delicious red fruits, about 8
ounces, IND, 72 DTM

Brandywine ~ Pink fruits can weight up to a pound or more, IND, 85 DTM

Bull's Heart ~ Large pink tomatoes can grow to two pounds, IND, 75 - 80 DTM

Bursztyn ~ Ripens to amber-gold, wonderful flavor, about 2 - 4 ounces each,
DET, 60 - 70 DTM

Carolina Gold ~ Steady cropper of tasty, three to four inch, beautiful
golden fruit, DET, 72 DTM

Campbell's 1327 ~ Commercial variety, 6 - 8 oz pink fruits, DET, 68 DTM

Cherokee Green ~ Ripens with yellowy skin and pretty green interior, quite
tasty, IND, about 86 DTM

Cherry Tomato Trio ~ Santa, Peacevine, and Tiny Dancer, expect plenty of
fruits, IND, 70+ DTM

Chico III ~ Plum-shaped paste, 3 ounces, DET, 70 DTM

Chocolate Cherry ~ Clusters of maroon-brown fruits, about an inch across,
IND 70 DTM

Chudo Rinka ~ Ukrainian tomato sets plenty of yum red clusters, versatile,
good fresh or cooked, DET, 75+ DTM

Cold Set ~ Canadian saladette has red fruits up to four ounces, fast and
early, DET, about 65 DTM

Costoluto Genovese ~ Italian heirloom has ribbed fruits, about 5 - 7 ounces,
IND, 90 DTM

Coyote ~ Pretty yellow cherry tomato is prolific and delicious, IND, 75 DTM

Clear Pink Early ~ Pretty pink fruits of outstanding flavor, 4 - 8 oz. each,
DET, 60 - 70 DTM

Dad's Barber's Paste ~ A slightly larger form of 'Purple Russian', IND, 80
DTM

Delicious ~ Beefsteaks hold world record for size, but expect about a pound,
IND, 77+ DTM

Early Kus Ali ~ Clusters of mostly three-inch red fruits are delicious fresh
or cooked, reliable cropper is great for sauce, IND, 70+ DTM

Early Ssubakus Aliana ~ Golden plum from China makes loads of fruit, taste
yum for sauce or salad, IND, 75+ DTM

Esther's Cherry ~ Clusters of yellow cherries, delicious, about 75 DTM

Fireworks ~ Early-season, tasty red fruits weigh about 4 - 6 ounces each,
IND, 60 - 70 DTM

Fuzzy Peach ~ Golden-yellow fruits are blushed pink with soft fuzzy skin,
about 2 oz, IND, 75+ DTM

Georgia Stream ~ BiColor Gold and pink fruits, can grow to about 12 ounces
each, IND, 90 DTM

Giant Oxheart ~ Large red oxheart, often over a pound, IND, 90 DTM

Goji Faranji ~ Iranian ruffled red beefsteak, about 6 - 8 ounces, a bit
tangy and so yum, 85+ DTM

Gold Nugget ~ Yellow cherry tomato sets early, tastes yum, IND, 60 DTM

Golden Delcious ~ The name says it all. Golden beefsteaks can weigh up to a
pound or more, IND, 80+ DTM

Golden Jubilee ~ Wonderful variety grown by decades, 3" yellow-orange
globes, delicious, IND, 70 DTM

Granny Cantrell's German Red ~ Named for Nettie Cantrell of Kentucky, these
delicious beefsteaks can weigh over a pound, IND, 80 DTM

Green Giant ~ Large tomato makes chartreuse-green fruits about 12 - 16
ounces, IND, 85 DTM

Green Sausage ~ Unusual paste tomato is light green with gold streaks, DET,
78+ DTM

Green Zebra ~ Pretty 3 ounce fruits are light green with dark green
streaking, ~ IND, 78 DTM

Heinz 1439 ~ Canning variety makes tasty 6 ounce fruits, DET, 80 DTM

Homestead ~ Floridian tomato developed for hot southern climates ~ DET, 60 -
70+ DTM

Hong Yuen ~ Clusters of two inch red maters, consistant size for whole
canning, yum for salad and sauce too, IND, 75+ DTM

Huang Se Chieh 'Gold' ~ 2 - 3 inch yellow fruits with golden skin, has rosey
blush when fully ripe, tastes yum, good for salad or sauce, IND, 80+ DTM

Huang Se Chieh 'Moon Yellow' ~ Same fine taste as Huang Se Chieh 'Gold', has
clear skin and very pale yellow fruits, IND, 80+ DTM

Italian Market Wonder ~ Euro-Tom has disease resistance, loads of red
fruits, good flavor, IND, 75 DTM

Jeff's Mystery Pink Oxheart ~ Delicious pink hearts, medium to large fruits,
IND, about 90 DTM

Juane Flamme ~ French heirloom has three inch golden-orange fruits,
delicious and pretty, IND, 90 DTM

Jubilee ~ 1943 All-America winner has warm-gold fruits, delicious and good
cropper, IND, 80 DTM

Kellogg's Breakfast ~ Pale-orange beefsteaks can weigh a pound, IND, 80+ DTM

Large Red Cherry ~ Bigger cherries, about an inch across, IND, 75+ DTM

Lil Pink ~ Large cherry has slightly oblate pink fruits. Yum!
IND, about 75 DTM

Lithuanian ~ Oblate, slightly ruffled pink beefsteaks, IND, 75+ DTM

Liz Birt ~ Brandywine-type tomato honors late autism pioneer, IND, 70 - 75
DTM

Manitoba ~ Short season favorite, loads of tasty 4 - 6 ounce fruits, DET,
about 70 DTM

Marglobe ~ Commercial heirloom makes 6 - 7 ounce fruits, great flavor from
yesteryear, DET, 75 DTM

Marion ~ Classic red with a touch of tang, Rutgers-type, about 8 ounces,
IND, 75 DTM

Miracle of the Market ~ Siberian origin, red fruits about 2 - 4 ounces, IND,
60 - 70 DTM

Moskvich ~ Early cropping tomato from Siberia sets tasty red fruits up to
six ounces, IND, 60 DTM

New Yorker ~ Tasty old variety crops well in short season areas, classic red
tomato, DET, 66 DTM

Nyagous ~ Clusters of brick-brown fruits, about 6 ounces each, productive,
IND, 80 DTM

Orange Oxheart ~ Big oxhearts ripen to a golden-orange hue, pretty and
delicious, IND, 85+ DTM

Orange Russian 117 ~ Beautiful, half-pound, heart-shaped fruits are bi-tone
of gold and orange, IND, about 85 DTM

Oregon Star ~ Big red pastes are great for sauce or juice, DET, 80 - 85 DTM

Peiping Chieh ~ 2 to 3 inch red fruits, fine sliced or makes yum sauce, good
cropper, 75+ DTM

Persey ~ Eastern red slicer, flavorful, about 2 - 4 ounces each, DET, 60 -
70 DTM

Phenomenal ~ Expect great things from this red tomato, 4 - 8 ounces each,
IND, 70 - 80 DTM

Preacher ~ Pink-fruited cherry, quite delicious, IND, about 75 DTM

Purple Russian ~ Dark maroon-brown pastes are simply delicious, IND, 80 DTM

Red GolfBall ~ Grown from seeds saved from 'Grandfather Ashlock', expect 3 -
4 ounce red fruits, variation possible, IND, 75 - 80 DTM

Red Pear ~ Loads of small, pear-shaped cherries, yummy garden snacker, IND,
78 DTM

Red Thunder ~ Tasty red fruits about 2 - 4 ounces each, IND, 70 - 80 DTM

Red Rock ~ Old variety listed by G. W. Carver in "How to Grow the Tomato and
115 Ways to Prepare it for the Table", red fruits, 2 - 4 ounces, DET, 70 -
80 DTM

Rhoades Heirloom ~ Large bi-color orange and red fruits, weighing a pound or
more, pretty and fine tasting, IND, 70 - 80 DTM

Roma Paste ~ Classic plum-shaped tomato grown for decades, good for sauce or
salads, IND, 75 - 80 DTM

Rousich ~ Fine early red, most 2 - 4 ounces, good cropper too, IND, about 70
DTM

Russian Persimmon ~ Yellowy-Orange fruits about 3" - 4" across, great
flavor, good cropper, DET, 70 - 80 DTM

Rutgers ~ Red fruits weigh about 6 ounces, well known reliable cropper, DET,
75 DTM

Sheyenne ~ Red round fruits crop early with abundance, DET, 70 DTM

Slavianskii Shedevr ~ Russian origin, red fruits about 8 - 12 ounces each,
IND, 70 - 80 DTM

Speckled Siberian ~ Oblate Russian variety produces red fruits with
gold-flecked skin, about 2 - 4 ounces each, IND, 70 - 80 DTM

Stupice ~ Czech heirloom is a tasty, early, season-long cropper, loads of
red fruits, 2 ounces each born in clusters, IND, about 60 DTM

Sub-Arctic Plenty ~ Compact plant described as setting fruit at lower temps,
2 ounce red tomatoes, DET, 50+ DTM

Success ~ Fine for fresh eating or sauce-making, red fruits up to half
pound, IND, 78 DTM

Super Sioux ~ 4 - 6 oz red globes, said to be reliable for hot gardens, IND,
70 - 80 DTM

Tennessee Surprise ~ Large golden fruits have blushing bottoms ;-) IND, 78
DTM

The 'Blend' ~ Fun and fascinating mix of assorted sizes, shapes and
colors--there is something for everyone! Plenty of seeds, DET to IND, no
dwarf-types, most about 70 - 90 DTM

Thessaloniki ~ Grecian tomato has lovely, big red fruits and fabulous
flavor, IND, 80 DTM

Tiger-Like ~ Red fruits have gold-streaked skin, IND, 70+ DTM

Tumbling Tom ~ Dwarf red cherry is well suited for containers or hanging
baskets, DET, about 70 DTM

Van Wert Ohio ~ Delicious and vigorous heirloom produces many red 4 - 8
ounce fruits, IND, 70 - 80 DTM

Verja's Paradajz ~ Large red fruits, quite delicious, IND, about 85 DTM

Vis ~ Red plum-type makes great sauce, good fresh too, DET, 65 DTM

Volvograd ~ Volga region variety has red fruits about 4 - 8 ounce each, DET,
70 - 80 DTM

Wild Card ~ Will be a tomato variety not on this list. It could be something
classic and usual, or it could be something rare ;-)

White Currant ~ Quite small, creamy white, big flavor, big plants too, IND,
about 70 DTM

White Beauty ~ Creamy white, meaty and delicious, most about a half pound,
IND, 85 DTM

Willamette ~ Medium-sized red, developed by Oregon State University is well
suited for cooler climates, DET, 70 - 80 DTM

Yellow Pear ~ Miniature pear-shaped tomatoes on large plants, mild tasting,
abundant cropper, favorite of children, IND, 70 - 80 DTM

Yellow Lemon ~ Pretty and delicious, 2 - 4 ounce yellow fruits in small
clusters, IND, 70 - 80 DTM

Please don't forget to send a list of six tomatoes and four default
tomatoes, please don't forget to send a SASE with two first class stamps
attached. Please do not use metered postage, use stamps. Please do not send
a bubble-mailer, send a #10 (long) envelope.

Here's the address again:

Your Choice Tomato SASE
1989 School Street
East Meadow NY, 11554