homestead - Re: [Homestead] Electricity prices going up , fake or not

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Electricity prices going up , fake or not
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 08:37:04 -0700

On Nov 3, 2008, at 8:20 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Out here in the hinterlands, they can't even read the meters
automatically. They have to get out of their truck, walk to the meter,
and write down the readings.

They installed the wireless meters for our electricity some time ago.
Suppose to read up to 3000'. As the crow flies (as the FM signal flies, actually),
it is line-of-sight about 1600' to the road. They can't read it, have to
drive up here to get within 25' of the thing before it works.

Interesting. We used to read our own meters each month. About a year ago we got meters that read themselves. It is my understanding they send the reading over the electric lines. I might be wrong on that. But our hills and hollers would surely make impossible any line-of- sight transmission.

Our electricity is supplied by a coop to which all users belong. All have voting rights to choose directors. All pay equally. All receive the same treatment. Being non-profit, we have historically had low rates. I used the same rate card for twenty years.

Most of our electricity is generated by burning Wyoming coal. The consortium of electric cooperatives in Missouri puts out a tabloid. The electric rates message has increasingly been that we should expect higher rates due to clean-air requirements. Seems fair to me: cleaner air is worth paying for. A recent tabloid issue had an article about the first wind farm that is now online.