homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ben Bernanke please send me some green

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ben Bernanke please send me some green
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 10:22:33 EST

> >His current rate is $45/hour whereas the Dodge dealership in town charges
> $60/hour.

The lesson here is to avoid dealerships, and even large garages, like the
plague. There was a mechanic on this side of town (so we didn't have to
drive to
town and then drive alway across town as well) who went strictly by the
estimated time in the manuals. The thing is, he got ALL the money, so he was
not
motivated to jack up the estimate. I think there was himself and as many as
three others in his shop.

He also had the practice of asking every time, "Did you check on the price of
the parts? How much? I can't match that, so go get the parts and I'll put
them on."

My vehicles are old bottom-feeders and so it's there's not much I can't do
myself. Any repair that would approach $1000 means the vehicle gets junked
and
I buy another one. But on rare occasions there is something I can't or don't
want to do. Then I find a small proprietary shop where the mechanic is going
to personally pocket almost all the labor cost.

James