homestead - Re: [Homestead] McCain now ahead ? Daily Kos. New Poll out

  • From: Shepperd <shepperd AT mail2.pvco.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] McCain now ahead ? Daily Kos. New Poll out
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 23:11:00 -0500

I see what Blue Dog Buckeye Dem posted on Daily Kos, but don't know where he found his data. The Zogby site has this: Obama 50.1%, McCain 43.1%
http://www.zogby.com/main.htm
and makes the point that there has been virtually no change for several days. A new poll will be posted at 1:00am.

Reuters has the same data:
http://www.reuters.com/news/globalcoverage/2008candidates

More interesting are the Undecided voters. Zogby has an average of 7 percentage points between Obama and McCain, with 6.8% undecided. In normal circumstances, one expects the undecided to vote according to their demographics. For example, undecided middle-age white males will tend to vote the way other middle-age white males vote. Undecided young black females will tend to vote as other young black females. The same for other demographics. The pollsters fear, in this election, that the majority of those who say they are undecided may have decided, but aren't telling pollsters how they will vote. If they vote largely for McCain, this will drastically change the outcome of the election from what the pollsters predict. And the pollsters hope to be close to the actual outcome, so they can sell their polls for the next election.

Jerry Shepperd