homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead Digest, Vol 51, Issue 365

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead Digest, Vol 51, Issue 365
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 17:48:52 -0500

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 12:01 PM, bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com> wrote:

> The purges are an attempt to reduce common voter fraud of dead people
> voting , etc. It has been happening for years, and I don't think anyone
> denies that..Non-citizens and felons voting is a relatively new happening.
> They feel that notyhing will happen to them, and it won't . the illegal
> votes are already counted, and no one ends up prosecuted....bobford

There are Voting Act requirements about purging them a certain time
before the date of an election, and the recent widely reported purges
were in several cases too close to this election. People illegally
purged can vote by provisional ballot but that ballot is often not
counted. That is one reason that the Obama campaign has been
encouraging early voting: if you have been purged and shouldn't have
been, you can go vote. In Illinois this year (for the first time I
believe) you can register and vote on the same day (but you have to
vote at the time you register).

Marie