homestead - [Homestead] 78 y.o. bird

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] 78 y.o. bird
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 05:42:49 -0700 (PDT)

I was directed to this link of an australian newspaper. The interest in the
story to me is not the cruelty of the people involved (young humans also
attack and sometimes kill aged humans), but the age of the bird.

I didn't know that many birds lived this long; or, if i once knew this fact,
I have forgotten. I remembered that some south american parraots, maccaws,
and such could be very old.

I once saw two Loisiana Brown Pelicans. Lost after a hurricane blew them
from their sanctuary. I was told at the time that they were among the most
endangered birds on earth. I wonder what the oldest non-parrot type bird is
from this continent.....bobford

Blind flamingo 'bashed' at zoo October 30, 2008 12:00am

A BLIND flamingo believed to be one of the oldest in the world is in a
critical condition after being bashed at Adelaide Zoo.

Four teenagers have been charged after visitors reported an incident to zoo
staff that has left the unnamed male greater flamingo, aged about 78,
"extremely stressed".
Zoo staff said it appeared to have been beaten, AdelaideNow reports.

It was taken to the zoo's animal hospital, where it remained under the close
watch of keepers in a critical condition last night. The zoo has reported
this morning that the bird is responding well to care and it is hoped he will
pull through.

The animal, which arrived at zoo in the 1930s, shares its enclosure with a
Chilean flamingo that arrived in the 1940s.

The pair are one of the most popular and loved zoo exhibits and zoo
communications manager Belinda Redman said there were concerns for the
welfare of the second bird.

"It's the first night it's spent alone since arriving at the zoo and keepers
are very worried about how it will cope," she said.

She described the injured bird as "tame and docile".

"Because it had lived its entire life at the zoo, it wasn't afraid of the
public," she said.

Police yesterday arrested and charged four teenagers, aged between 17 and 19,
from Broadview, Enfield, Payneham and Campbelltown with the aggravated
ill-treatment of an animal.

They will appear in the Adelaide Youth Magistrates Court at a later date.

The bird lives on a diet of hard-boiled eggs, whitebait, lettuce, duck
pellets and bird seed.

Find the full story at AdelaideNow

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24575343-5005941,00.html

  • [Homestead] 78 y.o. bird, bob ford, 10/30/2008