homestead - Re: [Homestead] Regarding: Unpasturized goat's milk.

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: artbyart AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Regarding: Unpasturized goat's milk.
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 19:20:50 -0400

Realize that to make cheese, you are relying on bacteria to do your work. Bacteria A makes Cheese A, Bacteria B makes Cheese B.
Unpasteurized milk contains the alphabet of bacteria, so to get the cheese you want, you have to pasteurize the milk, killing everything, then re-inoculate with the appropriate bacteria.

Having said that, most soft cheeses like chevres don't require heating to that 165 degree temp, more like 80 for chevre, 110-115 for cottage cheese, 86 Degrees for feta, etc.

I recommend getting the book _Goats Produce Too_ for all kinds of cheese recipes and things to do with milk.

Have fun..

Bev

art wrote:
Regarding: Unpasturized goat's milk.

I'm confused. I wish to know how to make goat milk cheese without heating it
to the same temperature which pasturizing requires (165 deg F). Is there a
way for this cheese to be unpasturized. Thanks.

http://www.vitamix.com/household/Health/green_smoothie.asp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3xOU2tLl7g