homestead - Re: [Homestead] New Power Grid?

  • From: SJC <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] New Power Grid?
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 12:11:24 -0400

lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com writes:

I wonder if it's time to scrap the idea of transmitting power all around the country. As the price of PVs comes down, I would think it would make more sense to have smaller neighborhood or individual power generation.

There are quite a few places in this area where folks have done just that.
Some are up in the so-called unorganized townships where they don't really
have much structure in place to make decisions, others are groups that have
been somehow 'deleted' from the grid system because of physical changes
(mostly involving dams opened for fish movement), and probably the largest
batch of 'em are the groups of people who are unofficial (as in not really
organized or so-recognized officially) intentional communities who have from
the time they came together (late 60s and through the 70s) always had their
own small plants/solar installations. A couple of those I know have a
solar/wind combination, several are nearby to here.

I'd guess, although I haven't talked to any of them lately, that they are
feeling a bit 'ahead of the game' right about now.

Susan Jane, in Maine