homestead - Re: [Homestead] Sifting dirt

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Sifting dirt
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 00:19:02 -0400

LOL, you've never seen one of my fires...
Okay, so maybe one foot will do.
The ring is in a low area in my 'back yard'. The house is to the north, the garden is to the west and there are woods on the south and east. There are two large poplar trees within 15 feet of the ring, and the woods are only 30 feet away. prevailing winds often blow ashes towards the house. I've been kind of worried that one day, we will have fire escape and either start the woods on fire, or my house. Also, being in a low gully-like area, there are drafts and the winds can make a fire creep out of the ring.
Of course, prime in not starting a forest fire is keeping the fire small, not in a 10 foot ring..lol..like 6 feet is better, but I guess it is. I want the ring big enough to burn large things in. Ok, maybe I should make it 5 feet across and 1 foot deep?

Bev

keith bellinger wrote:
Hi Bev,
Lighting the fire when it's two foot deep might be a problem. You might want to build in a set of steps.

EarthNSky wrot
I'm undecided on how deep to make the pit, too. Is two feet below
grade sufficient? Does it matter?

Bev

--
“Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda