homestead - Re: [Homestead] Finding God at a beer festival

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Finding God at a beer festival
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 14:49:33 -0400

On a business trip to Toulouse France several years ago we went looking for
a place with decent beer. French breweries just don't cut it. The place we
found had beers from all over the world. I have few memories of what all we
tried, some were good, some very good, and some very bad. I do remember the
bathroom doors. The mens room had a picture of a monk, robes lifted, and
penis showing a nice yellow stream. The women's had a picture of a num,
squatting with habit lifted and a similarly yellow stream.

One of the books I have is a poorly written history of brewing in England.
The book tours old monasteries and has pictures and records of brew houses.
Some of the more interesting records show the amount of beer allocated to
each person. One was 5 gallons of beer per day for each monk, and 4 gallons
for each nun in the adjoining nunnery. There was also a beer allotment for
every position in the monastery and for townspeople employed.

Beer was much safer to drink than the often tainted water. The brewing
process boils the water thus killing pathogens. When sanitary facilities
were often over water to keep them smelling better and garbage collection
was by dogs and hors running wild this was important.

Don Bowen KI6DIU