homestead - Re: [Homestead] Finding God at a beer festival

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Finding God at a beer festival
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 13:54:16 -0400

"Shortly after the doors opened on the 27th Great American Beer Festival, a
crowd congregated at the booth offering that and other pours from The Lost
Abbey of San Marcos, Calif., where the tap handle is a Celtic cross and the
legacy of beer-brewing monks endures."

That is one I have not heard of. I wonder if the makers of Shark Bite Ale
went under and sold the brewery. Shark Bite bought the old Stone brewery
when Stone opened a new brewery in Escondido. Escondido and San Marcos
share a boundary and are in northern San Diego County. I will be there in
about a month and will check out this new entry.

San Diego has a very good craft beer scene. Stone is one of my favorites.
Green Flash in Oceanside and Shark Bite in San Marcos are not bad. Oggi's
Pizza is a good place to get a pizza and their Sunshine Ale is good with a
pizza. Karl Strauss is one of the first in San Diego and his Red Trolley
Ale is one I give as gifts.

None will never compare with one of Gene's pizzas with a New Belgium Brewery
1554 on the front porch of Heartwood while the sun sets. I already miss it
and It has only been two weeks.

Don Bowen KI6DIU