homestead - [Homestead] Tree protection and fencing

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Tree protection and fencing
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 15:58:49 -0400

I forgot to mention something in my previous post..
When we built the buckpen, we ran field fencing through the woods, using trees as posts where we could, t-posts elsewhere. To prevent excess tree damage, we ran a 2x4 vertically along the tree trunks and it was attached to the tree with a few nails. The fencing was then attached to the 2x4. The pen was about 7 or 8 years old, and we had no tree damage despite the fact that many of the trees had grown. When we pulled off the 2x4, you could see an impression, but in a few years, that will be gone. We left no metal in the trees. Just thought I would mention this.

Bev
--
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" Ronald Reagan