homestead - [Homestead] silvopasture

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] silvopasture
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 02:40:18 -0400

I'm sold on the silvopasture idea.
I have the pasture and I know it is good from testing and I know it will support animals at above average stocking densities from rotational grazing experiments I have performed in the past.
I don't have animals now, but I will eventually get some sheep and probably goats again, so in the meantime, I am putting up a pasture divider so that the baby trees will be in one part and the animals, when I get them, will be in another part of the pasture.
I am considering the following trees:
Black Walnut
Pecan
Chinese Chestnuts
Honey Locust
Black Locust
Red Cedar
Pawlonia
There will probably be some Leyland Cypress trees

If I could find a good Spruce or Fir that might be sold as Christmas trees, I might consider that, too. I see a few isolated yard specimen trees, but not many. Our summers get a bit hot for most 'Christmas trees". I do want more evergreens. Should I consider pines...they are ubiquitious here, so prices would be low, but they are lumber trees and they are evergreen.

Mostly we are planting for future lumber for woodworking projects and for income when the trees are cut down in 25-30 years. I might be able to sell nuts and xmas trees, as well as the lambs.
I'm in the process of re-reading my library of Tvo posts about this topic, but in the meantime, does anyone else have any additional ideas about trees I might consider growing? I am in zone 7..winter lows to zero for short periods, summer highs to 105 for short periods. Lows mostly in the teens, highs mostly in the 90's. 4 good seasons. Full sun location, flat pasture with fescue, bermuda, clovers, and other 'weeds'.

Bev
--
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" Ronald Reagan