homestead - Re: [Homestead] Connection speed, was City farming - urban farm

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Connection speed, was City farming - urban farm
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 19:55:49 -0400

Marie McHarry wrote:
On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 6:14 PM, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:
you guys looking at stuff for me. I'm not just being lazy, I swear! My
only other internet alternative is satellite, which would be over
$65/month, a price I can't afford. No cable or DSL available here.

AT&T has cellphone coverage in this area, so now I'm using a computer
connection that is basically a cellphone connection. It's 3 MB, but it
costs $60/month. It has the advantage that it works anywhere on any
computer (I have a little gizmo that I plug into the USB port).

Lucky you. Unfortunately, cellphones aren't reliable here. Sometimes they work, sometimes not. People with cellphones have to go out to the pasture to get a few bars, and even then, it is iffy. Could it be that telecommunications satellites are in a lower orbit than TV satellites?

Bev

--
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" Ronald Reagan