homestead - [Homestead] Gov't spying on citizens

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Gov't spying on citizens
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 05:43:04 -0700 (PDT)

I may or may not share any part of a world view with this particular group
(they are left-wing , primarily peace and anti-death penalty activists).
The fact is , they are non-violent, organizing, and protesting for what they
believe. They were infiltrated by the gov't, and now their names are on
national terrorist watch lists. This is frightenly wrong.

I attended a national NRA convention in the 1990s. I sat one day with a
nationally known print journalist/columnist. He asked me if I realized there
were undercover gov't (ATF, etc.). I told him yes, but everthing was being
recorded for public access, anyway. He said that it was more than that.

The gov't watches us way too much. If we don't defend groups with which we
might dis-agree, then we shouldn't complain when the same thing happens to
our groups. We should not fear our gov't. ....bobford

Spying on Activists Discussed at Forum
Group Questions Why Some, Not Others

By Lisa Rein
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, October 12, 2008; Page C03

The 53 men and women wrongly classified by the Maryland State Police as
terrorists include two Catholic nuns, a Democratic candidate for Congress, a
man who campaigns against military recruiting at high schools and one person
who has never set foot in the state.

They share a passion for peaceful political protest. But as the activists
were invited last week to review their files before they are purged from
state and federal databases that track terrorism suspects, their identities
indicate that the 14-month surveillance operation in 2005 and 2006 targeted
not just local opponents of the death penalty and Iraq war, as police claim,
but a broader group.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/11/AR2008101101427.html?hpid=sec-metro

  • [Homestead] Gov't spying on citizens, bob ford, 10/12/2008