homestead - Re: [Homestead] For Michael Pollan's enthusiasts

  • From: "Jeanne Driese" <jeanne13 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] For Michael Pollan's enthusiasts
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 07:44:46 -0400

First off I must admit that I have read all of Pollan's books and feel that
he is one of the best "tell it like it is" writers out there!

It would be great if all on this list read the article all the way to the end
(it is very long) and then we have a discussion about what it has to say.
Some of my own thought are expressed below.

Just yesterday at the Greeneville Farmers Market much of what he talks about
could be seen! Of the 40 (not all are there every week) or so vendors that
participate there are only three who are between 25 and 35 years old. A good
portion are in their 50's but most are retirement age or older. Just as an
aside our vendors who use organic methods are, most of the time, the first to
sell out.

While at the market I was talking to the manager about getting some of the
farmers and gardeners to continue supplying the locals with food past the end
of the market season. Because I have very little space on my hillside and
almost no sun I get most of my food from the farmers market. It is with
great pride that I can say that I have not been in a grocery store since mid
May when the market opened.

The market manager informed me that food security is on the top of most of
the Greene County organization's lists of "things to support". Almost ALL of
the things that Pollan talks about are being implemented here (Greene County)
in some way or another.
In fact I have been invited to give a talk/workshop on vericomposting at a
local grade school. It is to be a hands on workshop with 3rd and 4th
graders. :))

Then on the downside I will have to say that this month there will be several
auctions of farm land, one with 130 acres, just in the part of Greene County
that I live in. Greene is the largest county in the state of TN.
Jeanne
tnhillwoman