homestead - [Homestead] McCain & the NRA

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] McCain & the NRA
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 06:21:46 -0700 (PDT)

This endorsement really surprised me. I just caught this 'editorial' at
Mother Jones. ....bobford

"Opinions change in Washington. Before the National Rifle Association loved
John McCain — it favored McCain with its endorsement Thursday — it had some
very sharp disagreements with the Arizona Senator. In 2000, McCain said of
the gun lobby, "I don't think they help the Republican Party at all." A year
later, the NRA shot back by calling McCain "one of the premier flag carriers
for the enemies of the Second Amendment."

There were two reason for the NRA's hostility toward McCain: campaign finance
and a bill McCain co-sponsored with Joe Lieberman to close the so-called "gun
show loophole." The NRA put McCain on the cover of its newsletter, called
"America's 1st Freedom," in July 2001. Next to him were the words, "John
McCain, What Are You Thinking?" An article inside explains that earlier that
year McCain and Lieberman had teamed up to champion legislation to eliminate

http://www.motherjones.com/mojoblog/archives/2008/10/10175_the_long_saga_o.html

  • [Homestead] McCain & the NRA, bob ford, 10/12/2008