homestead - Re: [Homestead] Farm machinery safety story

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Farm machinery safety story
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 01:32:08 -0500

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 9:43 AM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:
>> Keep tools in proper order. Think ahead. Don't work tired. Do not work
> off-balance.
>
> The one rule I most often break is doing dangerous work without
> someone else around.
>
> The one rule I never break is don't get on the backhoe if you have had
> a drop of alcohol.

These are all rules that we should repeat like a mantra. Every time
I've ever gotten into trouble, it was because I was tired and wanted
to do just one more thing, usually right at twilight. Fortunately, so
far I haven't been so tired (to this point in time) that I haven't
realized that I was in trouble before I did serious damage to either
myself or the equipment.

My fond hope is that when I turn 65 I can quit cube slavery and go
back to freelancing because -- unless the national contract is
ruptured -- I will have affordable health insurance then.

Marie