homestead - Re: [Homestead] Farm machinery safety story

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Farm machinery safety story
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 09:43:58 -0500

On Oct 8, 2008, at 9:23 AM, bob ford wrote:

This story has a somewhat positive ending, but a good reminder to all who use farm machinery to be very careful:

Oct. 8, 2008

"German farmer starts using transplanted arms"

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/10/08/karl.merk.arm.transplant.ap/index.html

Farming is one of the most dangerous professions.

Brother, Gary, and I recently cut down a big sycamore tree and cut thick blocks for making future cutting blocks. Loaded the blocks into the front bucket of the backhoe for transport to the places where they will dry for two to five years. There are few tools more dangerous than chainsaws and tractors. We took our time.

Keep tools in proper order. Think ahead. Don't work tired. Do not work off-balance.

The one rule I most often break is doing dangerous work without someone else around.

The one rule I never break is don't get on the backhoe if you have had a drop of alcohol.