homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fishing

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fishing
  • Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 14:03:11 -0400

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:
Giving this more thought, do you ever catch walleye or other species?

On trotlines or in general?

Trotlines

Trotlines are mainly catfish with some bass from time to time and some turtles ... and carp. We eat the turtles. We don't eat the carp.

Yeah, that is basically what he would catch. I just wondered about walleyes because they are deep/cold water fish and they like those deep mountain lakes.

They stocked the lakes here with some sort of hybrid trout and walleye. The trout don't taste good. Just as well because you have to have a special stamp for them and I don't (have it). But the walleye are magnificient, one of the best fish you can eat. And hard to catch.

And good fighters!

Then there are small mouth, large mouth, black and white bass. White bass are supposed to be trash fish like carp, but I like them fine. Also the pan fish: bluegill, redeye, bream, and crapie. Bream are rare here, crapie and bluegill are plentiful. All those are caught with hook and line.

I like all of those fish..but wait..here, a bluegill is a type of bream...bream being sunfish because they like the shallows and the warmth of the sun I think.. Bluegills are larger than the average bream, but not as large usually as a shellcracker or pumpkinseed or other kinds of sunfish. They are usually the size of your hand-good eating size, very sweet meat.

One of my neighbors keeps crawdads in her aquarium. They are growing. It has given me the idea that maybe I should go down to the creek and turn over some rocks to catch some crawdads, bring them home, grow them up big and then have a feast!

Bev

--
"What Luck for Rulers that Men do not Think" Adolf Hitler
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net