homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fishing

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fishing
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 12:56:28 EDT

> >Giving this more thought, do you ever catch walleye or other species?

On trotlines or in general?

Trotlines are mainly catfish with some bass from time to time and some
turtles ... and carp. We eat the turtles. We don't eat the carp.

They stocked the lakes here with some sort of hybrid trout and walleye. The
trout don't taste good. Just as well because you have to have a special
stamp
for them and I don't (have it). But the walleye are magnificient, one of the
best fish you can eat. And hard to catch.

Then there are small mouth, large mouth, black and white bass. White bass
are supposed to be trash fish like carp, but I like them fine. Also the pan
fish: bluegill, redeye, bream, and crapie. Bream are rare here, crapie and
bluegill are plentiful. All those are caught with hook and line.

In the creeks (and here a creek can mean anything up to 25' across) have
brown trout and brook trout as well as chub, suckers, and horny-heads. All
good
but full fo bones so they are better processed and eaten bones and all.

We have both blue catfish and channel catfish with an occasional yellow
catfish. All are magnificient to eat. There are also freshwater mussels in
the
rivers, but you have to harvest them only in rivers and streams that don't
have
industry upstream. We have a few of those left. Round that out with some
crawdads and you have our mountain seafood.

I think it was Lynn that once raised those indoor prawns. I've looked into
that. I've got a good place for it and they are available on the 'fish
wagon'
that comes by the feed store periodically. If I got into that, they wouldn't
be for sale, though, like the Walrus and the Carpenter, I'd eat every
one.<BR><BR><BR>
**************<BR>New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your
destination.
Dining, Movies, Events, News &amp; more. Try it out
(http://local.mapquest.com/?ncid=emlcntnew00000002)</HTML>