homestead - Re: [Homestead] Okra getting big & other vegs

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Okra getting big & other vegs
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 19:20:45 -0700 (PDT)

No, I don't know the breeds. All of the plastic markers were mixed up during
planting. But, that Pittman sounds like it could be similar to the one I
described. Its bigger than a jalapeno, just shaped similarly. I bought all
different type varities at the better (I think the best) local nursery.

I'm anxious to see what my one squash plant does. I prefer not to eat squash
(my wife does). But the main reason I only planted one, is that cucumbers do
not do well in our soil. Even if they grow to edible size, they are very
bitter, squash will probably do the same.

I just thought about something with your dog selection. When I planted my
vegetables and started the first watering, I was standing (sweating) looking
pleased, and then noticed thwe dog was not close by .. I looked down the row
of plants and half her body was inside a hole she had just dug (probably
folowwing a bug or a snail), I didn't even find a leaf off that plant. My
terrier is a natural digger with very muscular front shoulders and arms.
..........bobford