homestead - Re: [Homestead] Parties 1,2 and 3, was Reading the bailout bill

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Parties 1,2 and 3, was Reading the bailout bill
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 00:24:47 -0800

Well, actually, if the Sr. Schwartzkopf hadn't conceived of and trained the Black Guard, we wouldn't have even half the trouble we have in the Middle East right now and that goes back well before BCB (Bush/Clinton/Bush).

Obviously some of us are making the Congress-boobs nervous since both the No Choice candidates are all for pumping UP NCLB! Both talk about making it stronger, making it tougher, giving it more money.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Akka Homestead" <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>

I haven't seen a difference yet. Oh, and I don't think Democrats are tax and spend anymore,,,,I think they are borrow and spend as well, or maybe just spend...lol..they(R+D) are all just spend...spend now, live the good life now, pay for it later...I told my daughter once that generally this is the way Democrats are, but Bush has put himself square into the Democratic stereotype...go out and go shopping now, your kids and grandkids will pay later...
My own cynism goes back a few decades.
Kennedy choose one of those middle, Diplomatic routes that the Democrats are always offering as an alternative, he committed us to a course that the Republicans would follow....he stepped us right into a war that had been fought for decades. Johnson had to send even more troops, and Nixon even more after that. Fast forward...If Clinton had acted and made decisive steps against Al Qaida early on, we wouldn't be in Afghanistan today. For that matter, had GHWB allowed Schwartzkopf to march to Baghdad, we wouldn't have lot so many young lives in Iraq today. We still haven't paid ( in lives ) for all the technology Clinton sold to North Korea and China. Anyway,Bush stepped us right into a war that had been going on, whether you are talking about Afghanistan or Iraq.
So I really started looking at parties differently. Just like they no longer represent us, they no longer represent their parties' platform either. That's why there were Reagan Democrats. It is all in who you know and who you can buy. People have short memories, and there is no more balance. For example, remember the whole story about Clinton dodging the draft? Then you have the story of W's very weak NG service...which is better? Well, Kerry tried to make a go of being a war hero, but failed, and McCain is doing the same. Biden also dodged the draft(no real mention of this lately), and as we all know, Palin is female, but now has a son in Iraq. It's time we forget or make excuses or make one guy sound worse than the rest, but both parties do the same thing. Worse, now, we have such a nasty climate for military service now, with two+ unpopular wars going on, I am afraid for the guys coming back. Everyone says they support the
troops, but not the policy that sent them there, but do they really? Our troops are now volunteers, not draftees, so will they really feel the support, or will they be seen as Bush supporters or fanatical right wing conservatives (the Palin is being painted) over time. It worries me. People won't care that each kid had his own reason for joining because there is general belief that those who volunteer have no better choice. But I digress....
War aside, these politicians are all tied to PACs and special interests. They are crooked, smooth talking manipulators. They spend money like it grows on trees. The amount of money spent on political ads alone is staggering. The most successful politicians work the debt so that the payment comes due in a future administration. The country has been dumbed down by stupid programs like NCLB that sheeple no longer take a good hard look at candidates, but sadly, they vote on appearances...or things that don't matter like whether or not he's handsome(I heard those comments about Al Gore) or now, unfortunately, black. I hear blacks talking about voting for Obama simply because he is a 'brother'. Is this any better than whites not voting for Obama because he is 'a brother'. I've also heard comments, in my own family even, of how McCains arm movements make him seem less presidential or how Obama's suit makes him look more presidential. In all
these instances, a judgment is made on appearances and not on qualifications. People vote a party because their friends and family vote that party, not necessarily because the candidate believes a certain way on the issues. I mean let's get real. Are the people in Illinois(Blue state) really that different from the folks in Indiana(Red)...no...

To answer Roy's question of where is the third party...they have already been locked away in the basement. They can see through the window, but can't get out to do much about the mudslide happening around them. We need to get back to issues, and not personalities. If the issues of the third parties were publicized more, you would find more young people, and maybe old, too, aligning with those parties. On equal footing, equal advertising, and equal access to debates, you might see a different government evolving. Until that time, the only thing us third party folks can do is spread the word and not be ashamed to stand up and say "I'm for Paul" or "I'm for Nader" or I voted for Perot or I voted for McKinney, or Jackson or Larouche, etc. It makes people realize that they really do have a choice.

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
There's plenty of blame to go around. Do you really see a difference
between the two parties? Listening to any of them, I can't tell if they
are a tax and spend Democrat or a borrow and spend Republican. So few
have the guts to do what their constituents want.