homestead - [Homestead] A Question re Melons

  • From: Bunjov AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] A Question re Melons
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 23:40:46 EDT

I have a friend whose garden I was helping to tend over the summer, as she
stays in town near her job several nights a week.

She had planted tomatoes (done now), and peppers, and - for the first time -
melons.

Everything did - or is doing - well. Except the melons. Now, I don't know
whether to call them melons or cantaloupes. They're the kind with all the
webbing on the skin?

She was worried they'd be damaged by lying on the damp ground, and wanted to
make them some little macrame-type slings that would keep them growing 'up',
and therefore dry.

She works near the local WallyWorld, so I suggested instead that she just
pop in and pick up a fifty-cent pair of thigh-high panty hose, and hang them
up
on the chain link to grow.

We started calling them her "Joe Namath Melons", for those of you old enough
to remember.

They were doing fine, until a couple of days ago, when she went out to find
that both of them (there were only two, hence the 'pair' of pantyhose) had
split open, simultaneously at the bottom, and the ants were having their way
with them.

We had spent the summer alternately moving the hose, with a miniscule
'drip', from tomatoes to peppers to melons, etc. Was it the sporadic watering
that
did them in? Do I owe her two melons and a pair of panyhose?

Clues, anyone?

Sandy
Mid-Mojave

challenges? Check out WalletPop for the latest news and information, tips
and