homestead - [Homestead] More Govt tracking - less freedom

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] More Govt tracking - less freedom
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 07:00:48 -0700 (PDT)

Before I am reminded, I know this is legal for the gov't to send armed
representatives to ID me; and that I should not regret the fact that I have
no expectation of privacy, I still do....bobford

Excerpt:

"Fingering criminals has never been so easy for Los Angeles Police Department
officers.
Thanks to a new fingerprint reader the size of a cell phone, police officers
who think suspects are lying about their identities can quickly check who
they are and whether they have warrants out for their arrests.

The new technology - called BlueChecks - could result in more arrests not
only on warrants, but also on charges of giving false information to
officers.

"I've never seen policemen be so happy about something, because it really
works," said Lt. Anita McKeown, who handles BlueChecks for the Los Angeles
Police Department. "It makes our job a lot easier; it's an instant
lie-detector test." ....................

............The fingerprint scanner is among the latest high-tech upgrades
for crime-fighters.

Over the past few years, several LAPD patrol cars have been outfitted with
license-plate scanners - cameras that "look" around and read nearby license
plates to check whether any of the vehicles was stolen.

The first batch of 500 BlueChecks were first spread out among departments
throughout the county about six months ago. The LAPD ended up with 200,
gradually trickling onto the street as officers are trained to use them. "

http://www.sbsun.com/sanbernardino/ci_10585815