homestead - Re: [Homestead] Substitution

  • From: Bunjov AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Substitution
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:07:49 EDT

Probably the same percentage of Americans who are on this list, and similar
lists. And it has to be taken into consideration - the numbers of folks who
are just out there 'doing it' and we don't hear from them because they're
not
'hooked up' to the Internet (and maybe don't want to be). Maybe they're
just
too busy surviving. I envy them their simplicity of lifestyle.

I resent the Internet sometimes. Of course, I suffer some days from the need
for some sort of human contact, but - otherwise - I am happy with the
silence, and with my critters and my books. I jump when the cell phone rings,
and
if I don't recognize the number I don't answer. This is not a good thing, as
hold positions with the Property Owners Association and the Chamber of
Commerce. Much as I want to promote the sense of 'community' that you
introduced,
these people have no idea how much it freaks me out when someone
unexpectedly intrudes. That points up the beauty of email.

There are many people here that I feel close to, but we leave each other
alone. We exchange stuff like firewood, and newspaper clippings, and there's
one
special friend I take food to - she works in town, and is not hurting
financially - but doesn't eat well anymore since she lost her husband two
years
ago. The president of the Property Owners stops by and brings a banana once
in a
while for my desert tortoise hatchling, and we talk outside. There is no
coming in and sitting down. We keep about our own business.

All this - to me - is 'community'.

Sandy
Mid-Mojave

In a message dated 9/25/2008 5:24:37 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
genegerue AT ruralize.com writes:

On Sep 25, 2008, at 7:10 AM, Bunjov AT aol.com wrote:

> P.S. Give this a thought. Out of all four of these fools, who would
> be the
> most likely homesteader???

Palin.

Give this a thought: what percentage of Americans have any interest in
homesteading beyond some vague "I could survive that way" thought?