homestead - Re: [Homestead] Quote from Wendell Berry

  • From: Bunjov AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Quote from Wendell Berry
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 22:23:04 EDT

Hi, Don -

Of all of today's posts - which have been somewhat argumentative and some
were just silly (aside from Gene's 'tips'), this particular post hits home.
The
politics and economics of our country - and other countries - do not
interest me in the least, even though so many of you on the list are so
knowledgeable about such things.

If you don't mind, I am going to include it in the upcoming Property Owners
newsletter.

We are making a great effort here to be self-sustaining. Or, some of us are,
anyway. There is a great proportion of senior population, and I'm guessing
they're not expressing interest because they figure they're so close to dying

that it doesn't matter.

One of Gene's items is particularly close to my thoughts. Listen to the
elders. If it weren't for my beloved mother-in-law, I would not be able to
cook,
or clean, or to have raised my children in what was sometimes really
primitive
circumstances.

I don't know if a small-town editor can make a difference, but I'm gonna try.

Sandy
Mid-Mojave

In a message dated 9/21/2008 5:59:04 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,