homestead - Re: [Homestead] A Silly Historical Question...

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] A Silly Historical Question...
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 08:47:09 -0500

I forgot to add, the long forked rod you often see in pictures of Musketeers
is a badge of their position. The forked stick was used to prop up the end
of the heavy and cumbersome weapon.

The development of gunpowder is attributed to the Chinese but they did not
use it much in warfare. Rockets were used but mostly to startle. The first
canon was Chinese but there is no evidence that it was used in battle.

Gunpowder is easy to make. 75% charcoal, 15% sulfur, and 10% saltpeter.
The difficult part is the Saltpeter which is the source of the nitrate. In
the early days it would found in the white deposits in pig pens. During the
Civil War, the south saved the urine of women as it was said to contain more
nitrates. Even today we do not fully understand the chemical reactions in
rapidly igniting gunpowder.

I have in storage a reproduction 1820s percussion black powder Hawken rifle.
I also have another kit here in the trailer. I had planned on stopping in
Union City, TN on my way to Asheville but a combination of a Mississippi
River Ferry being shut down and the desire to spend the money on a loop trip
have ended that. I want the longest barreled Pennsylvania flintlock I can
build.

Don Bowen KI6DIU