homestead - Re: [Homestead] A Silly Historical Question...

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] A Silly Historical Question...
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 08:32:52 -0500

> Thank you, too, Don. This is of particular interest to me because I have
> posted comments in the last few days about my friend whose vegetable
> garden I tend while she's away, and who recently lost her husband, who
> was a special needs teacher and a Civil War buff.

I am not a Civil War buff but as a kid I spent a couple of weeks during the
summer at the Anderson House Museum in Lexington. Missouri. This was the
site of a Civil War battle in September of 1861 known as the "Battle of the
Hemp Bales". The Anderson House was the hospital during the battle and my
aunt was the live in curator. A cousin is also heavily involved in the
Athens Missouri museum and battle site in NE Missouri and I have spent time
there as a kid.

If I can work out the finances I am planning a loop trip while visiting my
son in Asheville, NC. The plan is to go to Kitty Hawk then make a loop
north to Jamestown and Colonial Williamsburg then back to Asheville hitting
some Civil War battlefields along the way. Possibly returning via the Blue
Ridge Parkway.

Don Bowen KI6DIU