homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fall crops to overwinter

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fall crops to overwinter
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 20:34:34 -0400

> All the talk around here (sw VA) is that it's supposed to be a hard winter
> this year. Do I need to protect the garlic and onions? I believe I've read
> that I need to put a row cover on the spinach. Is that right?
>
> What else could I do now in or for the garden? We've recently started a new
> compost pile.

Plant a cover crop. Something that will over winter or die at frost
and cover the soil. Do people there plant salad? I just got my seed
and am planting ASAP. Plot is ready. Southern States sells a mix or
some of them make a custom mix. It's stuff like kale, mustard,
turnips, creasy, etc. You just broadcast it and rake in. A lot of
people here just plant the whole garden to it and then eat salad all
winter and early spring. Till it in in spring.

I don't protect garlic or onions. They don't mind a little mulch
though. I have some onions from seed and will get some sets when they
have them. I plant really close together and then thin all winter for
fresh onions.

Rob - Va

Rob - Va

  • Re: [Homestead] Fall crops to overwinter, Robert Walton, 09/15/2008