homestead - Re: [Homestead] Wall Street

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Wall Street
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 15:15:29 -0700 (PDT)

Unless you are completely self dependent, it can and probably will affect
you.  If for no other reason than for the fact that so much of our economy
depends upon international trade.  International orders can be canceled if
the credit ratings of the "paper" which we you to order goods from other
countries is no longer trustworthy and desirable.  If you live in a town with
say, a Walmart, for example.  Almost everything in walmart comes from
international trade.  If those orders are slowed, prices on those items will
rise, workers in those stores will be laid off; Then,  the cafe, and the
corner mart that serves those workers will slow or shut down, and on and on
and on.

Remember also that our currency is strictly fiat (by government decree); it
has no hard commodity to back its claim as a unit of exchange.  Therefore,
though all currency is a commodity itself, whether fiat or based on gold/oil
or other commodity; at what value does that fiat currrency become if there is
no faith in the issuer?  If the currency was backed by a hard commodity, then
you can at least value that.

 If you, or no one you care about buys anything from any store, or gets
services from any service industry;  and if you don't need fuel for a tractor
or truck; ; then you have nothing about which to worry;  except for the
weather,  &  whether your hospital stays solvent, and paying your property
taxes.  ....bobford