homestead - Re: [Homestead] Conspiracy, Power, Privacy, and THEM

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Conspiracy, Power, Privacy, and THEM
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:16:42 -0700 (PDT)

James, I knew that Don was right, I just didn't know how to explain what I
had read.  This is part of the article from Scientific American,  They did
say "broadcast" but I had the signal running backwards.  The person writing
the article wasn't wrong --  I  was .   I might not ever completely
understand the technology, but I know I don't like the significance of its
use .......bobf

How RFID Tags Could Be Used to Track Unsuspecting People
A privacy activist argues that the devices pose new security risks to those
who carry them, often unwittingly
By Katherine Albrecht

Average consumers may not realize how many RFID tags they carry around. The
devices are embedded in personal items and even some clothing.

Melissa Thomas (photoillustration); Richard Schultz (RFID tags); Sam Jordash
(woman); Burazin (key fob); ©2005 Transport For London (Oyster card);
Identity Stronghold (passport sleeve); Dima Gavrysh AP Photo (Chase blink
credit card); Rolf Vennenbernd DPA/Corbis (EAS/RFID); Washington Metropolitan
Area Transit Authority (SmarTrip card)
Key Concepts
    * Radio-frequency identi­fication (RFID) tags are embedded in a growing
number of personal items and identity documents.
    * Because the tags were designed to be powerful tracking devices and they
typically incorporate little security, people wearing or carrying them are
vulnerable to surreptitious surveillance and profiling.
    * Worldwide, legislators have done little to address those risks to
citizens.
If you live in a state bordering Canada or Mexico, you may soon be given an
opportunity to carry a very high tech item: a remotely readable driver’s
license. Designed to identify U.S. citizens as they approach the nation’s
borders, the cards are being promoted by the Department of Homeland Security
as a way to save time and simplify border crossings. But if you care about
your safety and privacy as much as convenience, you might want to think twice
before signing up.
The new licenses come equipped with radio-frequency identification (RFID)
tags that can be read right through a wallet, pocket or purse from as far
away as 30 feet. Each tag incorporates a tiny microchip encoded with a unique
identification number. As the bearer approaches a border station, radio
energy broadcast by a reader device is picked up by an antenna connected to
the chip, causing it to emit the ID number. By the time the license holder
reaches the border agent, the number has already been fed into a Homeland
Security database, and the traveler’s photograph and other details are
displayed on the agent’s screen