homestead - [Homestead] Priorities

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Priorities
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 22:33:16 -0500

Rambling through the hurricane stuff in the Houston paper, I stumbled across this:

September 09, 2008

Personal story: The grocery store wars

Shoppers rushed Houston grocery stores Thursday afternoon, searching for water, batteries, peanut butter and beer.

At Randalls at Shepherd and Westheimer, the first challenge was parking. Lots were jam-packed, with waits for spaces and shopping carts.

Inside, the crowds moved from the wine and beer aisles - mountains of booze were disappearing fast - to the shelves filled with bread. The white stuff was long gone, leaving rows of brown, grainy loaves.

Bottled water was virtually gone, save the off brands or the expensive ones. Smooth peanut butter was virtually wiped out, too, but fans of crunchy were in luck.

Two men roommates discussed the pros and cons of peanut butter brands, then jams, then had to laugh. ``We never eat this much,'' one said.

``There won't be anything else to do,'' came the reply.

Lest it seem like all fun and games, more than a few folks showed signs of stress and strain.

One little kid near the entrance boo-hooed like his heart was going to break, and his anxious father looked like he was ready to scream.

The sentence that grabbed me was: The white stuff was long gone, leaving rows of brown, grainy loaves.

http://blogs.chron.com/weatheringike/