homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cheese Press

  • From: Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cheese Press
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 09:41:43 -0400

I aged my hard cheeses in the fridge in tupperware containers. I
experimented poking holes in the tupperware to get the right amount of
humidity. I never got it quite right, but my family always ate the
cheese before it fully aged anyway. I also waxed mine and kept it in the
basement; waxing lessens the need to worry about humidity. Waxing has
it's own problems...you can't see what's going on with the cheese until
you cut it.

Lynn Wigglesworth

Robert Walton wrote:
> 3. If you don't have a root cellar, make an area where you can control the
> humidity for aging cheeses. Cheddars need this-they don't age well in the
> fridge due to the moisture's not right.
>

> The fridge is a pain unless it is dedicated one. I'm thinking of a
> space in the crawl space. That';s going to be tough to secure and
> tough to get to.

Talk to your Yahoo! Friends via Windows Live Messenger. Find out how.
http://www.windowslive.com/explore/messenger?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_messenger_yahoo_082008