homestead - Re: [Homestead] To debunk

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] To debunk
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 18:24:22 -0500

On Aug 27, 2008, at 7:02 PM, Lynda wrote:

If Berg has proof that his mother gave up
their citizenship, then Obama isn't eligible to run.

Good grief. I'm not a judge and I have never played one on television or any other venue. I'm just an American citizen who tries to pay attention. I did attend law school until my common sense told me I was in the wrong place. With that intro, my down home American common sense tells me that our American laws would not allow a parent the power to forfeit her child's American birthright.

Well, sonofagun, here it is:

F. RENUNCIATION FOR MINOR CHILDREN

Parents cannot renounce U.S. citizenship on behalf of their minor children. Before an oath of renunciation will be administered under Section 349(a)(5) of the INA, a person under the age of eighteen must convince a U.S. diplomatic or consular officer that he/she fully understands the nature and consequences of the oath of renunciation, is not subject to duress or undue influence, and is voluntarily seeking to renounce his/her U.S. citizenship.

http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenship_776.html

I am struggling hard to understand why we give any credence to such crap. My foggy gray tells me that someone awhile back said that McCain wasn't a citizen because he was born in Panama, or some such place. Cripes, he had American parents and his father was in the American military!

I find such stuff as this just barely above the level of garbage gossip, the discourse of the cognitively embarrassed and unendowed. I respond only in the hope that a few more people will drag themselves up out of the cesspool that this presidential campaign has too often sunk into.