homestead - [Homestead] Sopa de Ajo

  • From: Akka Homestead <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Sopa de Ajo
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 14:04:34 -0700 (PDT)

I've been making/re-making candles today.  All this dreary weather put me in
the mood for soup, so I decided to make garlic soup for dinner.  As I was
pulling it all together, I realized that this really was a homestead meal.
Of course, I did not grow my own wheat, but I did make my own bread..  I did
not grow the paprika I used, but I did try growing Alma paprika peppers last
year(I got a little paprika out of it, all previously used in recipes).  I
didn't make the olive oil either, but we all know that according to Tvo, it
is possible.  The rest of the ingredients came straight from the farm..

8-10 cloves garlic(large), peeled and broken/smashed in the pan
1/4 c Olive oil
Sliced French bread or leftover garlic bread(about a loaf or a bit less)
2 tsp paprika
6-8 cups of chicken broth
3 large eggs, beaten
parsley, S & P

Fry garlic in oil until well colored. You may remove chunks/cloves or not;  I
like to leave them in because I LOVE garlic.  If your bread isn't already
toasted, fry bread in garlic oil until crispy, then set aside.  Add paprika
to oil, then broth and salt/pepper.  Bring to a boil, then add bread and
allow to simmer for 10 minutes as the bread falls apart.  Slowly pour eggs
into simmering soup without stirring.  Serve with parsley.  Makes 1 serving
for me<g>.  This soup looks gross, but is delicious, trust me.

Akka B