homestead - Re: [Homestead] The answer, my friend, may not be blowing in the wind.

  • From: "Wendy" <crazygardens AT verizon.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The answer, my friend, may not be blowing in the wind.
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 16:21:31 -0400

I think it is just more disinformation from the oil companies. Everytime a form of RE begins to look plausible and/or being accepted by the people, a piece of disinformation becomes popular. Remember: Bio-diesel --Manufacturing and transportation costs are too high to use bio-diesel (they're both less than for petroleum). We don't have enough land to grow the corn for bio-diesel. (we have become fixated on corn oil to use for bio-diesel. Corn is only mediocre in liters/acre and in its usefulness as a fuel. There are many other crops to use and to make blends that would be just as good or better. It would not surprise me if the use of corn as a source was also pushed by someone that wanted bio-diesel to fail.) We don't have enough water to switch to bio-diesel (??? this one does not even warrant a rebuttal). Big oil is scared to death of bio-diesel because it takes the political power from the oil companies and gives it to the farmers. With bio-diesel anyone can become an independent oil company no matter how small. Hydrogen fuel cells -- The only way to make hydrogen in quantities involves the use of natural gas or electricity. It is not feasible. (HA -- and a big HA at that! Hydrogen can be made cleanly and inexpensively using electrolysis from wind turbines. Wind to hydrogen is a far more practical means of generating energy than wind to electricity for our homes anyhow.) etc etc. I think this is just one more piece of bs to try to turn the people away form alternative energies.

Wendy

NIMBY is getting a foothold agains wind turbine energy, this time using
human health concerns instead of the health of birds.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/12182505221290
10.xml&coll=7

"BOARDMAN -- Sherry Eaton pulled into the driveway of her rural, high-desert
home to see one of several giant wind turbines being assembled a half-mile
away.

"I started to cry," Eaton, 57, recalled of her first sight of the Willow
Creek Wind Project in late July. "They're going to be hanging over the back
of our house, and now there's the medical thing."

"The medical thing" is new research suggesting that living close to wind
turbines, as Eaton and her 60-year old husband, Mike, soon will be doing,
can cause sleep disorders, difficulty with equilibrium, headaches, childhood
"night terrors" and other health problems. "