homestead - [Homestead] Jicama agua

  • From: "Wendy" <crazygardens AT verizon.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Jicama agua
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 20:59:57 -0400

Hi gang,
I am on a scavanger hunt for a source for jicama agua for a local Mexican
restaurant. If any of you can grow this and would like to supply it for
them, let me know.

Wendy
From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 20:24:18 -0500
Subject: Re: [Homestead] Putting Down a Dog

I've been fortunate all of my dogs have lived long lives,
and went peaceably on their own. I'm not saying the last
few weeks were easy on us, as each of them required
hospice care, but being able to give my companions my love
and caring attention during those times I think were good
for both person and dog. For me it was an honorable
ending.

I had a beagle mix that lived to be 18 (followed me from
junior high into graduate school) that just keeled over
one morning. He was blind and deaf at least the last three
years of his life. I didn't realize he was blind until I
rearranged the furniture one day and he ran into
something--he'd memorized his routine. As soon as I put
everything back where it had been he was fine.

When I was younger, I had a German Pointer-Lab mix that
lived to be 16. He was diagnosed with liver cancer and I
was encouraged to put him down. However, I started cooking
for him out of the Pitcairn book, and his renewed health
enabled three more years of great times together before he
passed at a decent old age for a healthy big dog. He also
just keeled over one morning. He taught me the lesson of
never guessing when it was time.

--Sage